It’s Purge Time for Your Records
If you’re not a fan of the months of January and February and are grateful to see them in the past, you might have enjoyed being a Roman prior to 150 BC, when neither month existed on the calendar and March was the official first month of the year. According to YouGovAmerica, January and February are Americans’ least-favorite months. Maybe the Romans had it right and we should purge those two undesirable months! But since we don’t have that choice, you could do the next best thing and start off the month of March by purging your records instead.
Why Should I Purge My Records?
A records purge gives you an opportunity to clean up your records by refiling misfiled documents, eliminating duplicates, and freeing up space before you decide what to shred. Reorganizing frequently-used files to make them easier to find increases productivity. Checking retention dates and making sure outdated files are set aside to be purged also helps keep your business compliant with information privacy laws.
How Should I Get Ready for a Records Purge?
- Find out what your retention periods are for your type of business and files.
- Collect no-longer-needed files in advance. Cover all areas where files are stored, including file cabinets, storage space and digitally. Encourage staff to review and purge their personal files. Make a record of their content, retention date, and that they will be destroyed. Stage all material in an easily-accessible area.
- Contact a local, East Tennessee, NAID AAA Certified shredding company and schedule a day to perform the purge. NAID AAA Certification means your purge process will be carried out in a legally-compliant manner, adhering to the industry’s highest security standards.
- Witness documents being securely shredded by the shredding truck if you like.
- Request a Certificate of Destruction from your shredding company.
ShredPro Secure is headquartered in East Tennessee, and we provide NAID AAA Certified shredding services to businesses and residents throughout East Tennessee. When it’s time for your next file purge, we have you covered on all of these areas. Just call us at 865-986-5444 or complete the form on this page, and one of our friendly shredding experts will be happy to help!